Rayon, or artificial silk, is a semi-synthetic fabric processed from cellulose (wood) fibers. Various formulations are known as viscose (English process), Modal, and lyocell. It was used extensively for lingerie and dresses until the 1950s, when nylon became popular.
Nylon, developed by Du Pont in 1938, was the first true synthetic fiber.
First available to consumers in stockings in May 1940, nylon was not used in other clothing until after WWII. S., England, and Germany use variations of the same sizing method ((e.g. Some countries that manufacture shoes for export sensibly mark shoes in the size system of the country they are shipping to.
Antron nylon was trademarked in 1960, Antron III in 1970. Exotic leathers (crocodile, lizard, alligator) were commonly used for shoes during WWII because they weren’t rationed for the war effort.
Tiny piped armhole seams date a garment to the 1870s or before and were rare after that. Three-quarter and seven-eighth length sleeves were popular from the late 1930s through the 1950s. Armholes were cut high and fitted in the 1950s and the 1970s.
Permanently affixed garment-care labels were required in the U. For a Levi’s denim label, a capital letter “E” indicates manufacture before 1971, while a lowercase “e” indicates manufacture in or after 1971.
Country-of-origin labels came about in the US following the Mc Kinley Act of 1891. The NRA Blue Eagle label, denoting compliance with Manufacturing Codes, was used in the U. what had been called Hudson Seal now had to be identified as sheared muskrat).
The ILGWU (International Ladies’ Garment Workers’ Union) was formed in 1900. European (ISO/Ginitex) garment-care symbols were developed in 1958 and have been in inconsistent use since the early 60s (according to Ginitex). S., ASTM care symbols, with or without additional text, have been in use since 1997.
The zigzag machine was patented in 1873 by Helen Blanchard, but a model for home use, manufactured by Italian company Necchi, was not available to consumers until 1947.
The first overlock machine (serger) was patented by the Merrow Machine Company in 1889.